Hello New Beginnings Community,
In partnership with Canadian Blood Services, we are reaching out to you for support in filling the urgent need for blood donations in this uncertain time. There has been a noticeable drop in appointments across Canada, and as some provinces start to open up their doors and start reinstating elective surgeries once again, this will add additional pressure to the blood supply. This is very worrying as Canadian patients and their loved ones rely on us to keep the blood supply strong.
Blood products are needed every minute of every day, especially for those undergoing surgery, cancer treatments, or who have been involved in traumas such as motor vehicle accidents.
The Canadian Blood Services needs your help in sharing this message with your family and friends.
Given their unique role within Canadian healthcare, they are committed to welcoming donors to collection centres during a pandemic. Enhanced wellness measures are in effect throughout all of our donor centres:
- Only healthy people are eligible to donate blood. All prospective donors are screened for any symptoms of illness.
- As they would for flu symptoms or other illnesses, they ask donors to stay at home if they are not feeling well, since only healthy people are eligible to donate blood.
- In addition to routine cleaning, infection-control and screening practices, in light of recent developments with COVID-19 they have introduced enhanced cleaning measures, wellness stations and physical distancing measures to better protect anyone who comes through our doors (i.e. donors and staff).
- To further mitigate the risk of asymptomatic COVID-19 infected donors entering our collections events, Canadian Blood Services is moving temperature checks for donors from the screening booths to our active wellness checkpoints.
- They are also installing plexiglass barriers at our wellness checkpoints and at the donor screening locations in our donor centres.
- In compliance with the Public Health Agency of Canada to enable physical distancing, at this time, they can only welcome people with appointments.
How to Donate
If you’re in general good health, please book and honour your appointment to help patients. Download the GiveBlood app, call 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283) or book now at blood.ca.
More information on COVID-19 is also available at https://blood.ca/en/covid19.
In Oshawa, at 1300 Harmony Rd. N. we are open 6 days a week:
Monday and Tuesday 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Wednesday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Thursday 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For additional locations, please visit: https://blood.ca/en/blood/donor-centre-hours-locations
Please follow CBS on social media:
On behalf of Canadian Patients, thank you again for your continued support. Together, we are Canada’s Lifeline